About Public Relations and Marketing at KCPS:
Come join the small but mighty team of PRM, comprised of a writer, designer and videographer, two of which are Alumni of KCAI. The intern will work with the team to conceptualize, design, and develop assigned projects. Interns will work closely with the Graphic Design Specialist who will oversee deliverables to ensure continuity of design and assist in learning outcomes.
This is a for credit, unpaid internship, but you will gain real experience and insight on K-12 education in Kansas City Public Schools. Position is located at the Board of Education Building at 12th and McGee. iMac and Adobe Creative Suite will be provided for the duration of the internship. This is an opportunity to utilize your strategic, creative skills and to make an immediate contribution and impact to the lives of KCPS students and families.
- Design an 8-page broadside that folds out to poster with the them: "Do you know what your 8th grader is learning in school?" with one design for every grade. They will go out to every family in KCPS
- Assist in planning the annual Convocation that takes place in early August. This will involve designing an invitation, program, print/digital signage and more based on the theme.
- Must be a student in the School of Design at KCAI
- Basic knowledge in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Organized and detail oriented
- Selected intern will work 20-40 hours per week during Summer 2014
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge/understanding of the fundamental elements of design
- Reliable and honest
- Passionate about K-12 education
- Takes constructive criticism well
- Positive attitude
- Excellent communicator
- By the end of the internship, the intern will learn how to:
- Manage a project, creation to completion
- Apply principles of design to print and digital pieces
- Manage deadlines and expectations for projects through regular and ongoing communication
- Gain knowledge/experience in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and pre-press process